When people think of how to get rid of a headache they don’t typically consider chiropractic an option. Most of the time people will simply take an aspirin or another over the counter drug and forget about it. This however only treats the symptoms of a headache and may not be treating the cause. Of course having a headache does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with your health, but if you are suffering from chronic headaches and medications are not working for you then chiropractic can be a solution. Chiropractic focuses on the cause of headaches and chiropractors have had a lot of success in treating the causes of headaches for many patients. A lot of the common types of headaches are associated with muscle tension in the neck and that can be in part due to the fact that people today engage in more sedentary activities than they have previously.
So what can be done about headaches?
- If you spend a lot of time in one position and don’t move around a lot then take a break to stretch about every 30 minutes. Bring your head and neck all the way through a comfortable range of motion.
- Get some exercise! Low impact exercises can help relieve headache pain.
- Don’t clench your teeth. Your upper teeth shouldn’t touch your lower teeth. The stress of this puts pressure on your jaw and can result in tension headaches.
- Drink water! Dehydration can lead to headaches so be sure to stay properly hydrated throughout the day.
- Work on your posture. Poor posture can result in joint irritation and tension in your neck which can lead to headaches.
- Visit a chiropractor. Chiropractors can help by giving adjustments to keep your spine in line and reduce stress on joints which helps to prevent headaches. Chiropractors can also help with diet advice as well as posture advice and advice on exercises to help prevent headaches.
Chiropractors are extremely well versed and effective in the treatment of headaches. Chiropractic is a treatment that is at least as effective as pain killers, if not more effective, for headache pain. So if you are suffering from perpetual headaches give chiropractic a try. Just contact us at 612-822-0149 to set up an appointment.