Suffering from Migraines in Minnapolis?
Headache and Migraine Pain Relief & Prevention
When someone has a headache in Minneapolis, they don’t typically consider chiropractic as an option to relieve it and prevent future ones. Most of the time people will simply take an aspirin or another over the counter drug and hope it goes away. However, this only treats the symptoms of a headache and may not be treating the cause. Of course having a headache does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with your health and that there is something more problematic occurring, but if you are suffering from chronic headaches chiropractic may be a solution. Chiropractic focuses on the cause of headaches and chiropractors have had a lot of success in treating the causes of headaches and lessening or flat out preventing future headaches. A lot of the common types of headaches are associated with muscle tension in the neck and shoulders and that can be, in part, due to the fact that people today engage in more sedentary activities than they have previously.
Tension Headache Relief
Tension headaches are the most common type of headaches that people get. They are often described as a dull or aching pain radiating from one spot or all around the head, kind of like a rubber band around the area. They typically start slow, lasting for an hour or days or more. Tension headaches are described as “chronic” when they last for several months. The common element in tension headaches, though, is that they typically stem from tightened, overworked muscles in the neck, shoulders, and back. These muscles can be overworked due to stress or injury or bad posture, but regardless of why they are tight, they can cause headaches, and this is no fun, to say the least.
Like a pain pill relaxes the muscles to make a headache go away, so does a chiropractor (without the potential liver or kidney damage). But the techniques a chiropractor uses are designed to be a long term fix so that the muscles do not re-tighten later on, rather than the short term fix of an over-the-counter pain pill and how long its effects last. A chiropractor will manipulate the spine as to align it back into place, focus on active trigger points, and work the muscles and tendons in the affected area so as to relieve your headache symptoms. If you are sick of taking over-the-counter medications for your headache symptoms, consider trying chiropractic.
Migraine Headache Relief
While each person’s case is different with regards to their migraines, studies have found that chiropractic care can help relieve chronic migraine headaches. It is simply a matter of finding the type of treatment with which a patient will respond. In many cases, though, working two of the upper cervical vertebrae can help with this treatment. Give us a call to set up an appointment and let’s solve your migraine problem.
- If you spend a lot of time in one position and don’t move around a lot, then take a break to stretch about every 30 minutes. Bring your head and neck all the way through a comfortable range of motion.(Don’t roll your neck in a full circle but rather side-to-side and front-to-back)
- Get some exercise! Low impact exercises can help relieve headache pain.
- Don’t clench your teeth. Your upper teeth shouldn’t touch your lower teeth. The stress of this contact puts pressure on your jaw and can result in tension headaches.
- Drink water! Dehydration can lead to headaches so be sure to stay properly hydrated throughout the day.
- Work on your posture. Poor posture can result in joint irritation and tension in your neck which can lead to headaches.
- Many people are sensitive to chemicals such as those found in perfumes and fake sugar or caffeine. Try eliminating these foods one at a time to see how your body reacts.
- Visit a chiropractor. Chiropractors can help by giving adjustments to keep your spine in line and reduce stress on joints which helps to prevent headaches. Chiropractors can also help with individualized posture advice and advice on exercises to help you prevent headaches.
Chiropractors are extremely well versed and effective in the treatment of headaches. Chiropractic is a treatment that is at least as effective as pain killers – if not more effective – for headache pain. So if you are suffering from perpetual headaches, give chiropractic a try. Just contact us at 612-822-0149 to set up an appointment.
Thank you for reading this article by one of the best chiropractors in Minneapolis.